Digital Signal Processing
- The Scientist's and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing - This book is quite readable, but has to be downloaded a chapter at a time. The chapters are short and there are a lot of them.
- Mixed Signal and DSP Design Techniques - published by Analog Devices
- Numeric Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing - current versions are not free. There are some interesting free downloads on the site in but mostly in formats I've never heard of.
Electronics and RF
- Op Amps for Everyone Design Guide - published by Texas Instruments
- Designing Analog Chips - Most of us aren't trying our hands at chip design, but there is good information about transistor design and some historical information about designing common analogue chips like the 555 timer.
- Wireless Networking in the Developing World - Looks very interesting. Covers the technical issues in great detail. It was this kind of work (building wireless networks in Africa) that got me initially interested in MESH networks.
- XYZs of Oscilloscopes - published by Tektronix
- XYZs of Signal Generators - also by Tektronix, I stumbled on this one while searching for the above title.
- RF Basics - published as a PDF presentation by Texas Instruments, also in PPT by Anaren Integrated Radio, which may be a bit different from the TI PDF.
- VHDL Quick Start - PowerPoint style introduction, by Peter Ashenden of the University of Adelaide, South Australia.
- The VHDL Cookbook - by the same author - 111 pages.
- VHDL Modelling Guidelines - by the European Space Agency
- Analog and Mixed-Signal Modeling using the VHDL-AMS Language - 199 detailed presentation format pages from the 1999.
- Beginner's Introduction to the Assembly Language Programming of the Atmel-AVR-Microprocessors - yes the same ones we used in project nigh. Last updated in 2011. There's lot of info available with an easy google search.
- RF Basics
- Understanding Radio for the Practical Engineer
- Wireless Networking in the Developing World
- Radio Receivers, from Crystal Set to Stereo
- Fundamentals of RF and microwave Power Measurements - published by Agilent (formerly the instrument division of Hewlett Packard).
- The RF and Microwave Circuit Design Cookbook - Doesn't appear to be a free download any more but you can buy it from Indigo books for $224.98.
- The Design of Radio Frequency (RF) Subsystem Printed Circuit Boards for the Petite Amateur Navy Satellite (PANSAT) Radio Frequency Integrated Circuit Design
- Fundamentals of Electromagnetics - A too-general search term. Just copy and paste into Google and you'll find lots of stuff.
- Health and Electromagnetic Fields - a report from the European Commission.
- Electromagnetic Radiation in Analysis - This is chapter 4 of a text on polymers from the University of Cincinnati. No idea why electromagnetic analysis is included in that course.
- Electricity and Magnetism - Not a surprise that this is hard to locate. Just add "PDF" to the title and you'll find lots of hits.
Antenna Fundamentals and Design
- Antenna Fundamentals - This presentation covers a lot of ground. Without notes it will probably best serve as a guide to searching for any topics that interest you.
- Antenna Basics - Glossary, radiation patterns, antenna types.
- Antenna System Guide - From the National Institute of Justice - covers a lot of ground with accessible math.
- Antenna Fundamentals & Definitions - From Penn State. Brief, starts with coordinate systems and ends with double integrals.
- Antenna Design - While searching this one I found the "Practical Antenna Handbook" which is unlikely, but this 625 page download contains a wealth of material. In places it is heavy on formulae but it avoids calculus.
- EMC Antenna Fundamentals - Concise coverage of different antenna types
- Micro-strip Patch Antenna Primer
- Introduction to Modulators - "Introduction to Modulation" was the closest hit I could find. This is a bit terse.
- Principles of Digital Modulation - Published by Toshiba Europe. Mostly descriptive, with a bit of complex (not complicated) math.
- QPSK Modulation Demystified - Brief mathematical description of QPSK
- Amplitude Shift Keying (ASK) Modulation - This one also covers FSK
- OOK, ASK and FSK Modulation in the Presence of an Interfering Signal - fairly mathematical treatment of the subject by RF Monolithics (Dallas).
- AM/FM Modulation - Short required reading for communication system engineering at York University.
- PLSK vs. DPSK in Four-Wave Mixing Crosstalk - PLSK is polarization shift keying and DPSK is differential phase shift keying.
Spectral and Signal Analysis
- Spectral Analysis - (almost) non-mathematical introduction from Agilent
- The Fundamentals of FFT-Based Signal Analysis and Measurement - From National Instruments.
- Fundamentals of Signal Analysis - Another Agilent application note
- Fundamentals of Real Time Spectrum Analysis - from Tektronix who want you to register before downloading, or you can just download it here.
- Mobile Satellite Systems - a presentation format treatment of a lot of the parameters about receiving satellite signals. Oriented toward mobile-phone systems like Iridium and Odyssey.
- Optimizing Satellite Communications with Adaptive and Phased Array Antennas - scholarly paper @NASA regarding reception of BPSK signals with phased array antenna.
- Satellite Communication Tutorial - This may not be the original, but this is a very comprehensive presentation on satellites.
- Perform More Effective RF Measurements Using Vector Analysis - A short description of this technique by National Instruments, intended to educate customers about the advantages of using such instruments.
- Understanding the Fundamental Principles of Vector Network Analysis - A PDF download. Not tested as the server was down at the time of writing.
- Calculating the Sensitivity of an ASK receiver - Maxim Integrated
- Phase Noise Profiles Aid System Testing - Maxim Integrated
- Three Methods of Noise Figure Measurement - Tutorial (#2875!) from Maxim Integrated
- Specifications and Measurement of Local Oscillator Noise in Integrated Circuit Base Station Mixers - Maxim (updated from original)
- Basic Equipment Design Tutorial
- Smith chart tutorial (parts 1, 2, 3)
- Spectrum Analyzer Measurements and Noise
- dBm - volts -watts conversion
- How to build your own RF Spectrum analyzer (part 1-2) - Couldn't find this one but it is a good search phrase to find dozens of suggestions on how to do just that.
- Sallen-Key Low Pass Filter Design Routine
- Band-Pass Filters for HF Transceivers - September 1988 QST
- A Diode-Switched Band-Pass Filter - By Doug Demaw W1FB in January 1991 QST
- Second-Harmonic-Optimized Low-Pass Filters - From February 1999 QST
- Narrow Band-Pass Filters for HF - from September/October 2000 QEX
- Clean Up Your Signals with Band-Pass Filters (part 1 - 2) - QST 1998
- Introduction to RF Filter Design
- Introduction, definition of RF Filter terms, Q&As - No longer exists
- Amplifier Design Tutorial - 1.5GHz range.
- Power Amplifier Design for the 2.11GHz-2.17GHz WCDMA band using advanced design system
- Balanced Amplifiers
- Op Amps for Everyone - By Texas Instruments 464 pages.
- RF and Microwave Power Amplifer and Transmitter Technologies
- Low Noise Amplifier Design Project
- Modern Amplifier Terms Defined with often asked questions and answers
- Base-Station RF Power-Amplifier Biasing - Maxim Integrated - updated.
- Broadband Microwave Amplifiers - this link did not work, but I stumbled upon a page of links of all sorts of interesting eBooks with links that appear to work.
RADAR fundamentals & design
- RAdio Detection and Ranging (part 1 - 2)
- SAR Synthetic Aperture Radar
- Radar System Components and System Design
- Noise tutorial
- Phase noise
- Noise Matching
- Spectrum Analyzer Measurements and Noise - Agilent Application Note
- Random Noise Contribution to Timing Jitter - Theory and Practice - Maxim (updated)
Oscillator Fundamentals and Design
- Oscillators Basic Tutorial
- Oscillator resonator design tutorial
- How to Design RF Circuits - OSCILLATORS
- Mixers basic
- Integrated LNA and Mixer Basics
- How to select a mixer
- Understanding Mixers
- Modern Mixer Terms Defined
- Most often asked questions about mixers